With in the framework of the ISF to preserve civil peace, a symposium was held by the Iraqi council for Peace and Solidarity, Ufuk Organization for Human Resources Development, and the Engineering profession Syndicate on the 6th Sept. 2014 at the hall of the ICPS headquarters at 11.00 am. The symposium was titled “Tolerance.. Concepts and experiences” the symposium was attended by political, social, and professional personalities, in addition to academics, researchers, journalists and civil activists.
The facilitator, our colleague Ali Altimimi (president of Ufuk Org.) opened the session, welcoming the participants, introduced the objectives of the symposium. Then the researcher, Mr. Yahya Dhiab (social psychology specialist) presented his paper that included several aspects, he as able to involve the participants in a discussion in every one of these aspects which were:
- Tolerance concept
- Political tolerance
- Religious tolerance
- Social tolerance
- Introduce educational curricula in the Iraqi schools devoted to promote the values of tolerance and forgiveness and acceptance of others.
- Replace the Islamic education lessons in Iraqi schools, with other classes that give the Iraqi student a general idea about all other religions, and promote the idea of freedom of religions.
- Independence of education, illiteracy combat, stop school dropouts.
- Attract Competencies, experienced, entirety personalities to be in command of the state foundations.
- Support and promote the procedures of transitional justice.
- Program the dialogue, and coordinate between politicians and decision makers on one side, and the NGOs on the other, to develop the values of civil peace.
- Combat unemployment, since work deprivation causes the sense of injustice and spread hatred.
- Legislate, and commit to laws that support civil peace, and stop the legislation of laws that reinforce sectarianism such as the Jaafari Personal Status Law, support and implement the Principles of human rights as a help to achieve civil peace.
- The exception of the ministries of (Education, Higher Education and Scientific Research, Youth and Sport, and Culture) from the sectarian, partisan regional and political quota.
- Separate religion from policy, promote the concept if the civil state, and spread the principles of citizenship and social justice.
- Spread and develop the spirit to respect the National identity, and respect other identities, and the intervention of dignitaries and sages in cities and districts to enhance dialogue.
- Perform studies and researches on dialogue previous experiences in other communities, which helped in combating culture and hatred and build peaceful civil societies.
- Restrict publishing of historian stories that urge killing, violence and vengeance; and spread stories and events that promote civil peace.
At the end of the session, the facilitator and researcher expressed their gratitude for the participants for being part of the activity, and setting the final version of the recommendations.